If you’re anything like me and still stuck in a bubble of christmas, these are the perfect bake for you with the flavours we chose!
A couple of months ago I decided to just wing it and make some protein energy balls using ‘a bit of this, a pinch of that’ and they turned out to be SO delicious! I shared some with my trainer, other trainers at the gym and friends and they went down a real treat! Then people were asking for the recipe so I simply had to make more in order to create the recipe (no one complained about that!)
My best friend and gym partner Tyla, and Jessica (my sister) were over in December and we got creating in the kitchen to put together a recipe for you. We decided to make two flavours…. Mini Christmas Pudding Balls and Mocha Bliss Balls. Since it was Christmas, we decorated the Mini Christmas Puddings with coconut milk icing and cranberries and covered the Mocha ones in edible glitter… Ofcourse!
They’re the perfect pre or post exercise treat with dates for energy and protein for recovery. Here’s the recipe:
Christmas Pudding Balls (makes 24)
500g Date Paste
60g Millionaires shortbread Soy Protein Powder (any protein would work, this was our powder of choice )
50g Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter melted (Normal is okay crunchy or smooth)
4 tbsp Agave Syrup
Cinnamon (to taste)
Ground Cloves (to taste)
To Decorate (optional):
White icing of choice. We used the thick cream on top of coconut milk mixed with icing sugar, whipped up to form a thick creamy icing. Topped with chopped fresh cranberry.
Mocha Bliss Balls (makes 24)
500g Date Paste
60g Millionaires shortbread Soy Protein Powder(any protein would work, this was our powder of choice )
65g Peanut Butter melted (crunchy or smooth)
3 tbsp Original Choc Shot
2 tbsp Instant coffee (dissolved in 2 tbsp water to form a paste/syrup)
Edible glitter to decorate
- Warm the date paste in the microwave for 40seconds or until soft
- Add the melted peanut butter and mix until combined
- Mix in the protein powder
- Once combined add the Agave (Christmas Pudding) or the Choc Shot (Mocha Bliss)
- Now to season. For the Christmas Balls add about half a teaspoon of cinnamon and cloves. For the Mocha Bliss add the coffee
- Divide each mixture into 24 balls and roll in the palm of your hand to shape.
- Optional- Ice the Christmas pudding balls to look like christmas puddings. Roll the Mocha Bliss balls in glitter
I have also worked out the nutritionals per ball:
We really hope you enjoy making your protein energy balls as much as we did. (and as much as everyone else enjoyed eating them!)
If you have any flavour suggestions for new flavours, comment and we’ll get creating and trialling recipes!