* Disclaimer- this is not a healthy recipe! *
No, this recipe does not contain protein or any wonderous superfood I enjoy/deserve treats just as much as the next person. So this is mine and my sister’s recipe for a Vegan Gin Cake.
We created this recipe just over a year ago after someone dropped gin and tonic cake into conversation with me. The very idea BLEW MY MIND! We searched far and wide to see if we could find a recipe for a vegan Gin and Tonic cake but were unsuccessful so we successfully created our own.
It has very quickly become a staple in my flat and a winner over any normal cake now. During my competition prep I didn’t make any for the whole five months and that didn’t go down well at all. SORRY GUYS! However the day after my competition I made us one especially and it didn’t even last 24hrs!
I’ve whipped up a fair bit of vegan baking for everyone before and we’ve gone for vegan desserts in Central but according to Ceri you can’t even tell this is vegan which is great and it’s now her favourite cake! I told her last night I was making another this morning and her face lit up like I’d just told her she’d won the lottery…. Well almost.
Here’s the recipe so you can make your own!
• No Egg ( vegan egg substitute) Equivalent of four eggs
• 200g Caster Sugar
• 200g Self Raising Flour
• 200g Dairy Free butter/spread
• tsp baking powder
• 5 shots of your favourite gin (we used Gordon’s elderflower)
• 2 limes or 1 pink grapefruit
• 150g sugar
• 3 shots of Gin
• Lime/ grapefruit juice
• a dash of tonic
• Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease your favourite cake tin.
• In a mixing bowl combine the caster sugar and butter until creamy.
• Add the made up No Egg and continue to mix through. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and mix in along with the zest of the two limes.
• Once combined add the juice of 1 and a half limes and 5 shots of gin making the batter thinner and more cake like.
•Pour into your cake tin and place in the oven for 45mins or until a knife comes clean from a point in the centre.
• Place the cake on a wire rack to cool while you make the drizzle.
•Mix the sugar with 3 shots of gin, the juice of half a lime and a dash of tonic. If you prefer a thicker icing, add more sugar or less gin…. (i’d go more sugar! haha).
• Make a few pricks in the top of the cake and then add the drizzle, be as messy or creative as you like! Leave to set while you clean up your mess!
Tah-da Gin and Tonic cake.
We are incredibly happy with the recipe and taste of the cake. We just can’t believe it took us so long to come across it! Due to the lack of actual egg, it isn’t a high rising cake but it is beautiful just the way it is. This would be perfect for a dinner party or barbecue in the summer.
Give it a go and let us know how you get on!
Char and Jessica x