Crumble for me is one of those real homely warming desserts that just makes me happy. Apple crumble and custard really is SO satisfying and you can’t just have a tiny bit because the rest is there is the kitchen calling your name…. Well that’s how it is for me anyway and I’ll always end up back in the kitchen for the rest!
Due to needing to be clever with my calories and how I use them to fuel my body, I decided to create a healthier, macro friendly crumble. Is there even such a thing? There is now! What’s great for you too is that I’ve got my recipe here for you and the nutritional content of a serving too! I’ll also be comparing it to an apple and cinnamon crumble I found on BBC Food.
Apple, Pear, Blueberry and Cinnamon crumble
• Half cup of jumbo oats
• Half cup of Grape nuts cereal (can be found in most supermarket stores- definitely tesco and waitrose)
• 2 apples
• 2 pears
• 3 teaspoon Arctic Power Berries Blueberry (optional)
• 0.75 tbsp coconut oil
• 1-2 tsp cinnamon
• Cup of water
• Heat oven to approx 200 degrees C
• Toast oats and 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon for approx 15-20mins
• Chop your fruit to your desired size
• Add to a heated pan with a little water and stew until it softens adding more water where needed so it doesn’t get dry or burn
• Add in 1tsp of cinnamon and 3 tsp Arctic Power Berries Powder and continue to stew
• Melt Coconut Oil in the microwave
• Remove oats from the oven and add coconut oil and grape nuts and mix.
• Divide fruit into four bowls and top with Oat and grapenuts mixture equally.
• Top with a sprinkle of Berry Powder
You’re good go! A crunchy topped healthy alternative to a buttery, calorie rich crumble!
*optional: either place back in the oven for a few mins or microwave if you would prefer the oats mixture to soak up some moisture to become softer*
Now for the Nutritional Content:
Crumble per serving
Cals : 209
You’ll want to come back to those numbers in just a second! I headed over to the BBC Food site and had a look at an Apple and Cinnamon Crumble recipe (that can be found here) and worked out the nutritional content per serving also:
BBC Food crumble per serving:
Besides being almost four times higher in calories, there is also more than TEN TIMES the amount of fat per serving! Call me crazy, but I think I’ll be sticking to my recipe for sure!
It’s super easy to make and doesn’t take your diet completely off track whilst still tasting super delicious! Next time I might add some almond butter between the fruit and oaty topping. Mmmmmm now I want more crumble!