It is safe to say that 2016 has started with a bang for me, we’re 7 weeks in and it’s already been so great! Competition prep is in full swing and I thought i would share with you 10 of my favourite Health and Fitness essentials for 2016:
- A Large drinks bottle. Mine is the BSN 1.89L bottle:In January I decided to purchase a new drinks bottle. I am the worst for managing to consume the daily recommendation for water intake- never mind extra due to my training! So I made the decision to buy a mighty bottle to keep with me all day reminding me to drink! I tell you what, it works! lt also helps that it’s a pretty cool bottle to carry around! You can get one here!
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-workout:This is honestly the best tasting, best mixing pre workout I have tried to date. I take the watermelon flavour and it tastes like Whistlepops that were around when I was a child. I have found this product to work, it increases my focus, alertness and performance during training. I bought my bottle and pre workout from a shop on eBay called Protein Warehouse as a bundle. Check them out here!
- Edamame Bean Spaghetti: I know right?! I said it, Edamame bean spaghetti. It is a great and substantial nutritionally beneficial substitute to regular spaghetti. I love courgette as a substitue also but this provides protein as well as fibre. A lot of people express concern for my protein intake because I’m vegan, this spaghetti really ups that protein intake! You can find it in Wholefoods with the other dried spaghettis and pastas.
- Nike Pro 3.5in Shorts: I hate working out in leggings so you will always find me in shorts in the gym, I tend to wear Nike tempo running shorts (I have pretty much every colour!) with a pair of Nike pros underneath. The tempo shorts give me full range of movement and are light, then the pros function as a base layer- I also have about 7 pairs of these (oops). It also means that when my tempos ride up while squatting etc, I’ve got that extra coverage from the Nike Pros. You can find them here!
- Bondi Sands Tanning Mousse: I had a fitness shoot in January and a Dance/Yoga shoot in February so decided to apply some fake tan to help emphasise and define my physique. For a long time now I have seen people raving about Bondi Sands on Instagram so I thought I would see what the fuss was all about. I found it gave me a nice natural looking tan and not a single streak. Best of all, it smells like holiday! You can get it here:
- Bumble and bumble Dry shampoo: This dry shampoo is a bottle of powder rather than an aerosol spray. The powder itself is great for matte texture and soaking up the oils at the root whilst giving my hair some volume too. Really great if you’re rushing from the gym to work etc. You can get it here:
- Pure Nutrition Natural Vegan Protein: I have recently become an ambassador for Pure Nutrition and can honestly say their vegan protein is sensational! It comes in two flavours: Cookies and Cream and Summer Berries. They are super smooth, mix well and the flavours are spot on! I use them mainly in porridge, pancakes and waffles. Delicious, check them out here:
- Lenny and Larry’s Complete cookies: Tyla first introduced me to these. You’ll honestly find your self second guessing that they’re vegan. Super high in protein and the best tasting cookies! Lenny and Larry’s for the win! You can get them from Muscle Food here!
- Forever21 Sports bras: Until just before christmas I didn’t own any forever 21 fit kit, mainly because I didn’t really know they had any and I tend to stick to what I know. Now I have four forever 21 sports bras! I don’t have much to support when it comes to needing a sports bra for functionality rather than it just looking pretty so I cannot comment on how supportive they would be if you have larger breasts than I do. The sports bras look great, lots of wonderful detailing and creative backs. Have a look for yourselves here, they’re reasonably priced too!
- RDX sports wrist straps: Unfortunately for me I have small, weak wrists and weaker forearms than the rest of my body. I would often find myself having to stop mid-set on exercises like deadlifts because my forearms would be giving up. Since I have been using these wrist straps, my wrists have been much more supported meaning that my forearms hold out for much longer which is great! So if you’re stuggling with unstable wrists and tired forearms, you can get yourself a pair of these here:
So, those are my fitness essentials for 2016 so far. These are things that are really helping my training and could help you reach your goals too. Closer to competition I’ll come back with a post about some essential competition prep items.