In the spirit of National Breakfast Week I made the most amazing protein waffles this morning (even if I say so myself). I thought I would share the recipe with you. They look and sound very indulgent but they aren’t all that bad for you (if you leave out the chocolate hahah)
Last week I received some protein samples from Pure Nutrition, two summer berries samples and one cookies and cream. All TO DIE FOR! I had a summer berries porridge and a cookies and cream porridge earlier in the week but have been saving the second summer berries sample for waffles and it was so hard to resist having it sooner!
Here’s the recipe and nutritionals:
Ingredients (makes 4 waffles)
- 35g Pure Nutrition Summer Berries Naturally Vegan Protein (or protein of your choice
- 15g flaxseed
- 2x 100ml Rebel Kitchen Matcha Green Tea Mylk (or other milk alternative)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- Mix flaxseed, 100ml mylk and baking powder together and leave for 1-2mins to thicken (this is your egg substitute)
- Mix flour and protein together in a bowl.
- Add the flax mixture to the dry ingredients and mix
- Add the remaining mylk slowly until all mixed together
- Then cook in your waffle maker as instructed by the manufacturer
I dipped my waffles in dark chocolate and topped with morello cherry jam and chopped banana. SO delicious, I believe I am now the waffle queen!
Nutritionals per waffle (with no toppings)
- Cals: 107
- Fat: 2.75g
- Protein: 8g
- Carbs: 11.5g
Obviously, top as you wish but those are the values per naked waffle. Really not bad for you at all! WAFFLES FOR EVERYONE!
I found that by using a fruity protein powder, it cut through the sickly sweet waffle taste (so I could eat more!). I can’t wait to try the recipe with the cookies and cream flavour protein!
Other Serving Suggestions:
- Top with peanut butter and berries
- Top with coconut yoghurt, berries and banana
- Top with peanut butter and jam
- Top with maple syrup
- Top with mango and dark chocolate
Enjoy your waffles!